Saturday, January 28, 2006

Why I Returned to Blogging

I'm sure you've noticed that it's been quite a long time since my last entry. To all of my faithful blog readers, I apologize for this. I took a look at some of my past blog entries and noted the length of them. I also noted the details within them. Then I began to wonder if anyone really wanted such detailed descriptions of my life. I don't want to have one of those blogs where people come and see this huge entry and then get overwhelmed by the length and don't bother reading. Nor do I want a blog where the entries bore my audience to death. So, for quite some time I didn't write any blogs because I didn't know what my audience would want to hear. After neglecting my blog for a couple of weeks, three things have helped me to come back to blogging.

Reason #1: This week I recieved an email from my sister Holly (yeah, she's the one that's prego). It was about the funeral for my aunty Pam, who died earlier this month. When I found out that she died, I didn't really react. I felt kinda bad for my mom, cause I'm sure it's not easy to lose a sister. But for myself, I didn't grieve or anything. Then I got this email from Holly. It was a detailed description of the day of my aunt's funeral. She described how different family members were exhibiting themselves on that day, she described the different atmospheres throughout the day, snd she described the order of events for the day. This email was detailed in such a way that it felt as though she brought me there with my family to experience the day for myself, despite the fact that I'm stuck in Egypt. I felt the grief, I saw everyone's sorrow, and I experienced the heartache of saying goodbye to aunty Pam. I sat there by myself and cried, but it felt like I was with my family. So what does this have to do with blogging? While reading that email, I realized the potential that detailed descriptions of events have. I realized that well written accounts can bring you closer to the people or places that you are so far away from. Then I decided that I would do my best to detail my adventures for those of you who are so far from me. Maybe then it would make it feel as though you are experiencing some of crazy these things alongside me.

Reason #2: This week I also recieved some fanmail from my friend Tom Ross. An excerpt of his email reads as follows:
"We long for news and stories from our friend in Egypt. What's happened to said friend? Where have you gone soooner? We miss your blogs. We wail in despair like a woman who has lost her baby, we long for things to be as they once were. Happiness is fleeting when friendship is diminished. How can our internet experience be complete without the witty commentary on your egyptian adventures? Well I hope you get the purpose of this email. We would still like to hear from you. Even if you don't have much to say a little note is better than nothing. We keep wondering why you have not blogged recently."
From that I might conclude that Tom misses my blogs, and the way he wrote that makes it sound as though he's not the only one who misses my blogs. Who knows if this is true, but at any rate, I shall try to continue blogging.

Reason #3 - I'm not going to worry about what people want to hear or read about. I am going to publish my adventures so that months and years from now, I can relive these adventures when my memories of them begin to fade away. If other people enjoy them, then great! If not, at least I will.

But I have to go now, so I will write again soon... hopefully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Write again, write again...yes,yes,yes!

I did not actually miss your blogs because I have not been to the site lately (busy with life)but to think that you weren't writing in my absence well that was actually sad very sad. Yup it was.

So welcome back!
You are GOOD at this Ryan, keep it up.
Shirley

Anonymous said...

Well put my son, you are a very wise young man. I'm so glad you came to your senses and decided to continue blogging. I missed not hearing about your days. I'm so sorry you had to cry alone, but if you're anything like me, I prefer it that way. We missed you and appreciated the email you sent sooo much. XO

Anonymous said...

Return of the Blog!

He must become Blogging King, it is his destinty!
Please blog once more Soooner!

Cam

Anonymous said...

Oh gees, now I am sitting here alone in Delhi crying. I don't really know what to say except that my tears have been my food day and night. Being apart is hard.
-F