Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sporadic Weather Changes

Do not fret, ladies and gentlemen. Just because I had a moment of seriousness does not mean that I cease to live a joy-filled life while I am here. Sure, some days may feel dark and depressing, but I always have someone alongside me who understands. Yeah it sounds a bit cliché, but I have Christ with me each day. He lived a human life here on earth so he could share in these feelings that we all have from time to time. Christ knows what it is like to feel the way we do, and He is there to share the burden alongside us. I thank each of you who have been praying for me. It makes a world of difference knowing that people are interceding on my behalf. Now, with that said and done, let's have some fun!

I was writing a few emails today, and while I wrote them I noticed the weather forecast on my browser. I have a nifty little plugin on my internet browser that displays the current and forecasted weather conditions for the next couple of days. Don't call me a nerd! It's cool and you should have one as well. In fact, here's a link where you can get a weather plugin for your browser (You need the cool and non-nerdy FireFox browser for this plugin to work)! Anyways, back to my story... I've been noticing that it's been cooling off quite a bit lately (I think I'm going to take a blanket to bed with me this evening) and I decided to see what the temperature was like these days. There are always three suns displayed in the forecast. One to show that today is sunny, one to show that tomorrow will be sunny, and one to show that the day after that will be sunny. It's always the same. But today I hovered the mouse over top of these icons for a few seconds so I could read what the predicted/current temperature was. It was at this point that I realized how bored meteorologists in Egypt must be. Today it was sunny and 26. I moved over to the next icon and it read precisely: "Abundant Sunshine and Nice". I moved over to the next one which read, "Pleasant with sunshine." See, it's ALWAYS sunny here, so it seems the weathermen have to get a little more creative in order to spice up their weather descriptions. By comparison, meteorologists in Calgary have a thrilling life, changing the weather description every ten minutes or so. I bet the rookie meteorologists all start off working in Cairo, and then when they get really good at making the various sunny days sound interesting, they move up to some location that actually has weather patterns. Some day, if they work hard enough and become some hotshot weather dude, they will move to Calgary and become Darr Maqbool. For those of you who don’t know who Darr Maqbool is, he was voted the most beloved Calgarian by FastForward Magazine. It doesn’t matter. He’s just some cool weather guy in Calgary. Now, what is the point of all this weather mumbo jumbo? Nothing! Aside from the fact that I get to brag about how nice and sunny it is here while you guys are all preparing for the winter freeze! Woohoo! Yesterday I was telling a few friends back home that it was 23 degrees while I was talking to them, and that I was feeling cold. Weird, eh? What's weirder is that I can never come up with examples of how to properly use the word 'eh' in a sentence whenever someone asks how we Canadians use it. Aaaand, before I close this evening, I would just like to point out that I still haven't worn anything warmer than a short sleeve t-shirt since arriving here from Canada. In the probable words of Albert Einstein, "Na na na boo boo! I'm better than yoooouuu!" And now I bid my humblest tidings to all. Good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darr Maqbool is the best. We have a picture of him in our appartment. He is a master at forecasting Calgary's weather.

Anonymous said...

Its 30 degrees here today... but the heat index says 36.. I am still waiting for that day when I don't sweat at all. I walked a lot today though, that's not a good way to keep from sweating... Speaking of walking alot.. The proposal count is 3 (usually happens when I am walking) It could be more, but I don't understand what most people are saying so I just say Bon Soir Cava. Thats pretty safe. The End