Monday, October 03, 2005

Thank you to all of my supporters!

Do you ever wonder what that Scroll Lock button on your keyboard is used for? I know I have! I've just never cared enough to actually find out what it's for. Why do I suddenly mention this Scroll Luck button then? Have I finally cared enough to do some research on it? Well, no... BUT, last week I was updating my financial donations spreadsheet (Thanks again to everyone who has supported my trip!!) and suddenly our cat, Holly (Holly's are nothing but trouble, I tell ya) jumped up onto my keyboard and did a little cat dance. After looking around the room for a .22 calibur gun and not finding one, I decided to allow kitty to live another day. I shooed her off of my computer, though not with my shoe, and continued working in my little spreadsheet. This is when things got exciting! See, normally when you use the arrow keys in a spreadsheet the highlighted cell moves in the direction of the arrow key. Simple and boring. For ME, however, whenever I pressed an arrow key, all the cells would shift in the direction that I pressed, not just the highlighted cell. This is because the scroll lock button was pushed. You see, pushing scroll lock allows you to scroll through a spreadsheet without having to use a mouse, or having to move from the current cell you are highlighting... something like that, anyways. Ok, so it's really not that exciting, but it's something you can brag about now. If you're standing in an elevator, for instance, and there is only one other person in it, don't put up with the awkward silence. Share your newfound knowledge with this other person! "Hey, guess what? I know what the scroll lock button is for!" The other person will be like "YEAH RIGHT! Nobody knows what that button is for!" Then you can reply, "Well I do! And for only $9.95 I'll tell you what it's for." So you see? Everybody is happy here! I'm happy cause you supported me. You're happy cause you're making $9.95 every time you tell someone about our newfound discovery, and the suckers in the elevator are happy cause they get to find out what that darn Scroll Lock button is for! Not only that, but awkward silences will then be less rare in elevators, enabling you to squeeze out that quick fart that only seems to want to come out during a silent elevator ride (Quick tip: if a smell surfaces, blame it on the other person). Truly this is a glorious moment! Not only that, but it also proves that even cats are more useful than babies.

Now, how about a daily Egypt reflection? Ahh, ok here's an observation. It appears that nearly every expatriate (non-locals) employ maids at least once a week to clean their house. I don't know if this is to help support the economy, or because it is ridiculously cheap, or what, but even the simplest of families do it! My family doesn't even have a microwave or a dryer, or a DVD player or anything fancy like that, but they still hire a maid to come once a week.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Ramadan, the ninth month of the dominant faith's calendar. I will tell you some of the details about this religious month tomorrow, so be sure to check back!

No comments: