Friday, November 11, 2005

Heidiween Intermission

Since I haven't had time to finish writing out The Detailed Adventures of my Desert Vacation, I am going to post this blog I wrote a long time ago to keep you folks happy:

October 30th was Heidi’s birthday. I called it Heidiween cause I had to dress up for it. For our Heidiween festivities, we (the youth staff) drove off to some far off part of Cairo for Indian food. Now when I say Indian food, I don’t mean bannock and buffalo, I mean chicken and curry and nama bread. You know, real Indian food! The Indian restaurant we went to was in a very Hollywood/New York looking part of Cairo. I didn’t even know a part of Cairo like this existed, but hey, it seems it does. Now what do I mean by the Hollywood/New York look? Well, the street was very ritzy and upscale looking. There were shoe shops with hundreds of fancy shoes displayed ever so perfectly in their lit up windows. There were all kinds of swanky clothing shops. There was even a McDonald’s (which we stopped at to ask for directions)! Okay, maybe the McDick’s doesn’t really make it feel so special, but you have to remember that there’s a McDonald’s in Time’s Square and other famous locations as well! Anyways, eventually we found the Kandahar restaurant (I think that’s what it was called). In front of the restaurant there was a red carpet on the sidewalk leading to an elevator which was called down by a doorman. In the elevator were two men who took us up to the actual restaurant. Inside the restaurant was a section of small wicker tables that you eat from while sitting on the floor. The hostess took us past them over to a regular round table where we were seated. The table was decorated with copper looking plates, two sets of forks, two sets of knives, and napkins in the shape of a fan. For the duration of the evening, every time something was served, the women would always get served first. This was fairly noticeable because the two females weren’t sitting together, nor were they both easily accessible. The food was brought out fresh from their hotplates and hand ladled onto our dishes. At first I thought this was humorous because I watched them slowly serve Heidi, spoon by spoon, and there was nothing she could do but awkwardly sit there and watch them. But then it came time for me to endure the awkward serving ritual. At least by the time I was served everyone else had their own food to look at, rather than staring at all that was going onto my plate. For the duration of the meal, every time I went to reach for more rice or more chicken, a server would pop up out of nowhere and serve me. Nobody else at the table seemed to receive the quality of service that I was enjoying. I guess this is just another example of why redheads are cooler than everyone else. At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal, and had I brought my camera along, I would show you some nice pictures of the evening… but I didn’t. So too bad.

No comments: