Monday, November 21, 2005

I Think It Rained Last Night

I haven’t written a blog for a while now. I blame this on two reasons. First, I have been fairly busy. Second, I’ve felt uninspired in my blog writing lately. When nothing out of the ordinary happens, I feel like I have nothing to write. I suppose I could write about my feelings, but that would mean I’d have to be in touch with them first. This rarely happens. My feelings generally coincide with the temperature of the object I am currently touching. If the object is burning hot, I usually respond with a throaty “ow!” Then I think to myself, “Wow! That feels hot.” Likewise, when I am holding a freezing cold object, I tend to vocalize a series of words similar to: “Sweet mother of pearl!” Following my outbreak, I suddenly become in touch with the stinging feeling in my hand, which is generally followed up with a lack of feeling altogether. Other feelings I am attuned to are feelings of softness (such as the fur on a puppy) or hardness (such as the surface of my pectoral muscles). Other than that, my feelings are pretty hazy. Maybe some day a nice young lady will come along and interpret them for me.

Speaking of interpreting, I’ve been having many interesting dreams these days. Last week I had a dream where I was driving/boating (my mode of transportation was fairly inconsistent throughout the dream) through a massive lake where the ruins of cement buildings were sticking out of the water. The scenery was little more than water and cement, diversified with bent fibers of rebar that protruded from both. I remember slowly moving past these mounds of rubble, wondering what history was covered by these waters. After driving through this landscape for a length of time, we (I wasn’t alone in the vehicle, though I don’t remember who accompanied me) found ourselves inside a massive tunnel-like structure that had walls made out of abandoned apartment buildings. By this I mean the walls were made of brick, mortar, cement, wooded up windows, etc. We exited our vehicle and found a passageway leading between a gap in the walls, up a cement stairway. Although we were in a tunnel abandoned of everything including electricity, somehow the area was lit enough to see many details (much like in a Hollywood movie where the characters can’t see each other, but we, the viewers, can clearly see them and their surroundings). We came upon a ragged looking wooden door with a rusty old brass doorknob. It looked as though it hadn’t been used in over a hundred years. Apparently the door was unlocked, because the next thing I knew we were standing on the other side of the doorway in the middle of an artificially lit hallway. It seems we had stumbled upon a secret settlement of human life. Although I don’t remember seeing people, I recalled seeing signs of human life. Rooms with dirty pots and pans. Tea kettles and dishes. I’m not sure how, but I knew with absolute confidence that these things had been used that very day. I looked down the hallway and saw a hanging light bulb swaying in the distance. Somehow it looked (or maybe felt) familiar to me. I couldn’t explain how or why, but it seemed almost as though this was my home. It was at this realization that I awoke to the sound of my alarm.

Although nothing really exciting happened in that dream, I awoke thinking to myself, “Man! What a cool dream! I wish I could sleep some more and see what else happens!” But regrettably, my conscious life had to take over and seize the realities of the day. As I thought about that dream over the past week, I haven’t bothered discovering an interpretation for it because it seemed so foreign and complex. But as I wrote out this account for you folks, a possible interpretation for the dream has come to light for me. I think I can identify many of the objects in this dream and explain how they relate to my life right now. In my next entry I will go through and explain the simple meaning of this seemingly complex dream of mine, and I will link each of the details in the dream to what I think they represent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PLEEEZE!!!!!