Monday, December 19, 2005

Greetings From Dahab

Hello Everyone! I am writing this blog post from an internet cafe in Dahab. The waves of the Red Sea are crashing against the shore at my back. It's pretty windy today, so the sea is full of waves. Lots of people are out windsurfing. I woke up today and looked out the window of my $10 a night hotel room to see the Red Sea right beside me! I headed down to a restaurant on the shore and took a seat right on the edge of the boardwalk. As I sat there reading a book and sipping on mint tea, the waves crashed against the wall of the boardwalk so hard that my feet could feel the ground vibrate whenever they hit the wall. The odd time they would hit in such a way that the water would shoot up like a geyser and sprinkle a drop or two of saltwater upon me. After finishing my tea, a waiter brought out my breakfast: pancakes with fresh fruit and vanilla ice cream. It was good.

Following breakfast, Heidi, John and I went on a 4-wheeling safari out into an oasis in the Sinai mountains, and back along the coast of the Red Sea. It was loads of fun. Now I'm here nerding it up in an internet cafe for less than a dollar an hour.

Yesterday we drove out to a place called the Blue Canyon (I think), and snorkeled there. Actually, it was mostly them snorkeling, and me standing shoulder-deep in water trying to figure out how to breathe through only my mouth without panicking when I started floating. It wasn't a very successful endeavor for me, but I did see some cool looking fish and I had the opportunity to flail around helplessly in the Red Sea. I had just read the passage about Moses and his people crossing the Red Sea that very morning to psych me up for this moment. Anyways, I should get going. I'm beginning to crave a ridiculously good meal for $5. If you ever have the opportunity to come out to Dahab, you will NOT be disappointed. Especially during a non-touristy time of the year like right now. When I get home I will post some of my pictures from this trip. Until then, have a Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops I commented on the wrong post, look what I said below and read it in reference to this post. I guess it doesn't matter.
ok bye,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Ry, I miss reading your blogs so much. This is the first time I have been able to get on the net forever. The last one I read was Uncle Ryan 2 and I don't even have time to read this one. Could you start emailing them to me including the ones I missed so that I have them in my in box? that would be wonderful. Thank you for the words you sent in response to what I posted about Sarita. Blessed be the name of the Lord indeed. I am finding every day more and more that the Lord is to be blessed in every circumstance. That no matter what happens he is still good. That is what I cling to. I miss you alot right now, more than normal, not sure why. Will you be somwhere with a phone number on Christmas? if so, email that number to me inluding country code. I would love to hear your voice except I might cry. Love you lots, your sis, Felicia