Sunday, December 25, 2005

Sinterklause!

On the evening of December 23rd, 2005, an historic event occurred. The Dutch allowed me to participate in their Sinterklause celebration. Now I’m sure it’s not often that they allow foreigners such an honor (because of such scandals as poor old Black Pete), but I’m completely irresistible to the Dutch (I’m a vonderful goot guy), and so I had the privilege of witnessing this momentous evening.

The night began with everyone bringing their presents into the room in suitcases so that their gifts wouldn’t be seen. Then the gifts were hurriedly stuffed under a blanket where they were guarded by Holly the cat (that’s the non-pregnant one). The snacks were brought out next. There were cookies that tasted like licorice, miniature ginger-snap-type things, other candies that I can’t pronounce, and a nice hot chocolate for each person.

Next came the gift distribution/opening. This worked by having one person (namely Ryan the Rookie) grab a present from under the blanket, then he/I had to do five jumping jacks, spin around six times, and then present the gift to whoever’s name was written on the present while singing the Sinterklause theme song. Just kidding. They’re not that weird. I’m pretty sure there is a Sinterklause theme song, though, part of which is supposed to be sang after each gift is opened. Now, after the first present was handed out, the person who received the gift had to read out the poem that is attached to the gift. This is the genius of Sinterklause: Each gift given must be accompanied by a humorous poem that pokes fun at the person receiving it. So, after the poem is read and everyone has a good laugh, the present is finally opened, at which point the latter portion of the Sinterklause theme song is supposed to be sang, “Dank u Sinterkla-sha”. Something like that anyways. Following that, the person who received the gift then goes and grabs the next gift under the blanket and presents it to whoever’s name is on it, and the ritual is repeated. This continues on for the next six or seven hours. Just kidding. I didn’t time it.

I’m trying to think of other crazy things we did that evening, but I’m afraid the Dutch aren’t as weird as ‘Austin Powers: Goldmember’ likes to make us think. With that said and done, I’m going to go celebrate North American Christmas, as it is the morning of the 25th at the moment. Have yourselves a Merry Christmas and all that jazz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ryan!

I am so sorry I have not written or even emailed you yet! I am horrible! I just had so much fun reading through your blog and seeing some of your pictures. It all looks very fun and exciting. I hope that your Christmas ws lovely, and I'm sure you will be busy will those guys that are in Egypt now. I think now, or maybe tommorow? Anyways, I will email or mail soon! Promise!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,

I just had to say a quick hello and tell you that I've enjoyed reading all your adventures the past few days. Every time I've had a few minutes of quiet in the office I'd log onto your blog. Ryan gave me your URL and I'm so glad. I've vicariously enjoyed your adventures.

I miss seeing you around here and hope when you come back home you'll come to visit and poke your head into the office to say "hi".

By now I'm sure Ryan is there, say hello to him for me and make him sleep a bit to get rid of the jet lag.

I'll be checking in periodically too see how you're doing.

Keep safe.

..... Suzanne (Pentland Office)

Anonymous said...

lol... i've been seriously considering this, but i don't think there is a theme song that the "dank u sinterklaasje" came from... i think it's just that one line. anyway.. normally when we celebrate sinterklaas, we also have Kruidnoten fights, but we decided not to since little Ryan was there... :P and even last summer we still found kruidnoten all over the place :D talk to ya later,

Monson said...

I'm sorry I missed out on the kruidnoten fights. I actually feel kinda gyped/gypt/jipped/jipt that I didn't get to participate in the Great Kruidnoten Fight of 2005. Kruidnoten, for those of you who don't know, are pretty much miniature ginger snaps to North Americans.