Monday, June 04, 2007

My First Day

My worst nightmare has come true: I must wake up every day at 5:30 am. I didn't even know there were two 5:30's in each day! I have to be at the corner of my street by 5:55 to catch a bus that will take me up to the mine so I can start working by 7 am. On the drive up today we passed a number of elk (eek?) and moose (meese?). Throughout the drive Dennis (my new boss) also pointed out where mountains used to stand, and where they now stood. Through the mining process here, mountains are literally moved from one place to another while the coal is extracted from the mountain.

Arriving at the mine site, we passed through electronic toll-booth-style gates which are opened up using a remote from inside the vehicle. The area inside these gates is outside the jurisdiction of the RCMP. As Matt put it, it is like sailing through international waters. I'm not allowed to take pictures of the mine site, otherwise I would take some and show you folks where I work.

My title at this job is a "PC Analyst" which means that I'm the local computer nerd. But this isn't your typical nerdy office job. I wear steel toed boots to work, along with jeans, a hard hat, and safety glasses. That's the cool kind of nerd. Rugged.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Ryan, you answered a lot of the questions in my email. Sounds like a movie I once saw. Hope it grows on you...Mom

bcmatt said...

Ok Ok, I know you hate living with me but really, what me hurts me most is that you don't read my blog..according to your blog