Sunday, August 21, 2005

Ho hum

Yesterday I did absolutely nothing. And it was great. My big outing of the day consisted of walking to McDonald's and back. Somebody at church told me that it tastes better here, so naturally, I had to investigate. After paying the equivalent of $3.62 Canadian for a SuperSized Big Mac Combo, I sat down and assessed the situation. The portions appeared to be the same as North American portions, so nothing too special there. But when I opened up the styrofoam container holding my Big Mac, I was quite surprised. See, whenever you see an advertisement for McDonald's, you see images of these big luscious burgers that are nice and big and juicy looking. But then you order one and you get this shrunk down boring looking version of it. This is not the case at McDonald's in Egypt!! The burger sitting on my table looked identical to those huge beautiful looking ones on the commercials. It felt almost as though there was a beam of light from heaven shining down on the burger alongside a chorus of angelic singing. I picked it up, and I chowed down... and it was gooood. The fries weren't as enjoyable as North American ones, but everything else was quite tasty. But yeah, that was about all I did yesterday other than watch Everybody Loves Raymond and Rudy.

Today I spent the whole day at the office, updating the youth website. For lunch, we ordered in from an Egyptian place (Pretty much everyone delivers for free here... McDonald's, grocery stores, etc). I wasn't sure what to order, so I asked one of my Egyptian co-workers what their favorite was. I kid you not, they told me to order the Hot Dog pizza! Well, because I'm adventurous, I did it. A while later I had a hot dog pizza sitting on my lap. When I opened the box up, I thought I opened it upside down because the crust was on top... but I flipped it over and crust was STILL on top. That reminded me of how I used to prank call pizza places and ask them to put the crust on top. Egypt has a keen sense of humor. Anyways, the pizza was good. It was hardly like pizza, except for the fact that it is cut like pizza, but it was tasty, and two meals for less than a meal at McDonald's!

Now I would like to share an excerpt from an Egyptian pop culture magazine I had given to me with my meal at McDonald's. It seemed to be a very random magazine. This excerpt proves it. Click on the images to enlarge them:



You can look forward to me posting other excerpts from this magazine in the future. Next up: "How to get out of a relationship", including easy instructions on how to say 'no'. That's all for now, though!

No comments: