Saturday, August 20, 2005

I saw a cloud!!

True story. I was checking my email this morning, and the weather popped up and said "Mostly sunny". I'd never seen anything aside from "Ridiculously sunny" since I've arrived, so I ran over to the window and looked outside (course, this was a 20 minute process because I had to eat some breakfast and gather my strength) and bless my lucky stars, I think I saw the remains of a cloud! I heard you often don't see phenomenons such as this until at least December! Too bad my camera battery was still charging. Oh well.

Yesterday I went to church twice more. That makes a grand total of three identical church services in a row. I don't know how pastors do it. I mean, the jokes weren't even that good the first time... I can't remember if I've mentioned the setting of the church, so I guess I'll do that now. Maadi Community Church is an international church, so it is English speaking, and contains people from every nook and cranny of the world. The pastoral staff of this church includes people from Canada, US, Great Britain, and Australia. The church services take place beneath a large canopy in a couryard outside of an Anglican church. During church services, soldiers line the outer walls of the courtyard and stand guard. I'd take a picture for you, but we're not allowed to take pictures of soldiers here. They have big guns (most people here do... it's not uncommon to walk home and pass at least 5 guards of some sort with AK-47s). Anyways, there are about 10-15 soldiers that surround the church during services. Other than that, I think the church service is fairly similar to any other church I've been to.

Yesterday evening, three families and us interns took the metro downtown where we hopped on a felucca to sail the Nile during the sunset. Many of the feluccas downtown are quite cheesy (to remind you, a felucca is simply a sailboat type thing on the Nile). These chessy fellucas have got Egyptian music blaring from their speakers, they've got neon lights lining the tops of them, and fancy seats. They kind of remind me of those cars that are all decked out with chrome and lights and hydraulics. I half expected these feluccas to start hopping up and down in the water like those cars with the ridiculous hyraulics. I bet pretty soon they'll have a hit reality show called "Pimp My Felucca". Thank goodness we didn't get one of those feluccas.

Anyhoo, here's a picture from our felucca sunset:

No comments: