Thursday, August 04, 2005

Time for Surgery

I went to the walk-in clinic today because my foot has been hurting for a couple months now. You see, I stepped on a large shard of glass 2 months ago, and it's been hurting ever since. At first, I assumed it was simply because the wound was still healing. But after two months of supposed "healing," my foot still hurt. So that's how I ended up at the walk-in clinic. After waiting in the aptly named waiting room for 3 hours, I finally got to see a doctor. I was with him for little more than 30 seconds before I was out the door driving to some x-ray place. In the x-ray room, there were two ladies working the machine, and they were laughing and joking with eachother, having a good ol' time. I was kinda worried they'd get so carried away laughing that they'd accidentally zap my future children away. I don't really know how this radiation machine works... I just know it can't be too good for you. Anyways, after waiting around there for a while, I got the x-rays back and drove back to the walk-in clinic. Once there, I marched past all the sick and depressed people waiting around for hours on end. I noticed a few people sitting there who were waiting there back when I was still waiting to be seen. Good ol Alberta health! Anyways, the doctor took a look at my x-rays and pointed out a shard of glass that was still in my foot. He suggested he operate on my foot and simply cut that little piece of glass out. Easy as pie. Well, he made it sound quite easy, at least. But after digging around in my foot for nearly half an hour, spurting blood and other juices all over the place, he came to the conclusion that he was unable to find the shard of glass. The whole time I was lying on my stomach, staring at a plain white wall. What a boring wall. Anyways, the guy just stitched me up and sent me on my way. He said sometime within the next year the glass should work its way out of my foot. Nice, eh? Anyways, I've just got a few stitches there, in addition to a shard of glass. So now I'm walking worse than I was before going to the doctor, and I still have the glass in my foot. I can't wait to get out of this ridiculous country!

No comments: